Saturday, November 3, 2007

Introduction


Welcome all,
Sorry it has taken so long to get this page up and running. Although my intentions were to create this blog months ago, ive only just gotten around to it, and ive already been here 4 days... in Antarctica!

After 3 months training in which took place in both Melbourne and Hobart, we finally set sail on the Aurora Australis from Hobart, Australia, on October 20. Our arrival at Casey Station (continental Antarctica) on October 30 was via a 78 nautical mile (45 minute) helicopter flight over thick sea-ice and some of the largest bergs I would expect to see all year... an amazing way to spend my 25th birthday.

Well, there it is, a very brief introductory post. Once I am settled in, and have my own room (im currently sharing with 7 other people during the very busy "change-over" period), I will begin posting blow by blow accounts of penguin sightings, field trips, blizzards, and anything else of interest. Once I have my own laptop set up I will also add plenty of pictures... I may even appear in a few if I can work out how to use photoshop, hehe.