Monday, November 5, 2007

Ice- bound

Id like to start this post off by once again apologising for my atrocious spelling, I did warn you though. If its any consolation ive been very busy since arriving here, and its been a lot to take in, so by the time I get to my computer at night to write this its usually been a pretty long day, at the end of which my brain has a tendency to switch off on simple tasks such as spelling 'proof'... at that time of night 'pruff' looks good enough to me... But lets face it, spelling never was my forte.

Anyway, Once we put the high seas behind us it was smooth sailing for another 2 or 3 days before we got into the ice. Im not sure what I was expecting in terms of the first ice sightings, maybe a titanic sized berg floating by, accompanied by seals, penguins, albatross' and a killer whale or two...? Or a sheer wall of sea-ice confronting us like the front line of an army, which we had to ram, then ram again and again...? In any case, it started much less dramatically... a patch of pancake ice (pieces around 1-2m in diameter) floating past my bedroom window as I woke up, then practically nothing till lunch time. By mid-afternoon though we were steaming through thick pancake ice, which was increasing hourly into small floes.

The next morning it was basically 0.5 to a metre thick (or even more... its hard to tell sometimes), which is thick enough to drive a truck over. On the third day of our 'ice-land-ik' traverse we were starting to have trouble. The ship sometimes had to have 2 or 3 goes at ramming a particularly stubborn section of ice and we had to really start picking our path to Casey. In the end we stopped a little less than 80 nautical miles from Casey, and commenced "flyoff" operations on the 30th of October.
Before this though, as we started entering the sea-ice, we were put through a certain "ceremony" of induction... Our 'crossing-the-line' (60 degrees south) ceremony was far from Golding-esk, but fairly stupid never-the-less. The worst thing is that I was later told that the certificate they gave me (picture on the right) is useless if I want to cross the equator by sea. In that case I would be put through a similar ritual. Oh well, at least some people liked it.

Apart from birds, there really wasnt that much wildlife to see as we travelled through the ice. On two occasions I saw a few penguins, but only from a distance, and if I was to post the photos here you wouldnt have a clue what they were of. On another occasion some people spotted some orcas in the distance, but I didnt get to see them. The only thing I really got a good look at, and a half decent photo of, was a crab eater seal and her pup (at least thats what I think it was).